Uganda is now represented within the UFC because of light-weight David Onama.
A member of Glory MMA & Fitness underneath coach James Krause, Onama (8-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will make his promotional debut at UFC Fight Night 196 when he steps in on short-notice to battle former Cage Warriors champion Mason Jones (10-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) on Saturday.
An individual with information of the matchup confirmed the reserving to MMA Junkie on Tuesday however requested to stay nameless because the promotion has but to make an official announcement. MMA DNA was first to report the reserving.
Onama, 27, is the primary Ugandan fighter in UFC historical past. He enters the battle unbeaten with seven finishes in eight fights together with 5 TKOs and two submissions.
As for Jones, the Welsh fighter was initially scheduled to rematch Alan Patrick at UFC Fight Night 196. However, Patrick withdrew on account of COVID-19-related issues. Jones has competed twice within the UFC to this point, in a no contest in opposition to Patrick and a unanimous determination loss to Mike Davis.
MAIN CARD (ESPN+, 4 p.m. ET)
- Paulo Costa vs. Marvin Vettori
- Grant Dawson vs. Ricky Glenn
- Jessica-Rose Clark vs. Joselyne Edwards
- Alex Caceres vs. Seungwoo Choi
- Dwight Grant vs. Francisco Trinaldo
- Nicolae Negumereanu vs. Ike Villanueva
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 1 p.m. ET)
- Jun Yong Park vs. Gregory Rodrigues
- Maria Oliveira vs. Tabatha Ricci
- Jamie Pickett vs. Laureano Staropoli
- Jai Herbert vs. Khama Worthy
- Daniel Lacerda vs. Jeff Molina
- Randa Markos vs. Livinha Souza
- Mason Jones vs. David Onama