UFC Paris will not be able to put Christos Giagos through his paces due to a rare accident.
It was revealed on Monday that Giagos had recently undergone surgery for a damaged pinky tendon while cleaning his grill, and his hand was slashed open on a broken toilet during the procedure.
Sadly, I was forced to withdraw from my scheduled battle in Paris because of the severity of my injuries.
To determine the extent of the injury, “I went to a hand specialist today to check the damage and had to undergo minor surgery to reattach my pinky tendon.
My focus is to get healed up as fast as possible. As much as this pains me, the only thing I have control over is how quickly I get back.”
UFC Fight Night on September 3 was supposed to pit Giagos, 32, against UFC veteran Benoit Saint-Denis (9-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC).
Saint-Denis may or may not remain on the schedule:
- Ciryl Gane vs. Tai Tuivasa
- Marvin Vettori vs. Robert Whittaker
- Joaquin Buckley vs. Nassourdine Imavov
- Zarah Fairn vs. Ailin Perez
- Alessio Di Chirico vs. Roman Kopylov
- Nasrat Haqparast vs. John Makdessi
- Joel Alvarez vs. Magomed Mustafaev
- Taylor Lapilus vs. Khalid Taha
- Abusupiyan Magomedov vs. Dustin Stoltzfus
- Benoit Saint-Denis vs. TBA
- Darian Weeks vs. TBA