Legacy Fighting Alliance returned to action Friday evening for LFA 118 but met some fight night scheduling issues.
The event was scheduled to feature a championship main event in the women’s strawweight division as Jacquelina Amorim (4-0) was set to face Loveth Young (3-1-1) for the vacant title. However, the fight would not happen.
The event took place at the Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport Convention Center in Burbank, Calif.
As the main card broadcast began on UFC Fight Pass, commentator Ron Kruck announced the fight was scratched due to the bout “not meeting the sanctioning requirements from the California State Athletic Commission.”
LFA matchmakers hope to reschedule the bout as soon as possible.
Some bad news, the strawweight title fight is off.
— UFC FIGHT PASS (@UFCFightPass) November 13, 2021
The original co-main bout was elevated and bantamweights Askar Askar (12-2) and Leandro Gomes (6-2) took center stage.
Askar, who was set to make his UFC debut in February but was released after he could not get medically cleared, looked to rebound from a loss to Justin Wetzell LFA 109. Gomes entered Friday’s bout on a four-fight win streak that included two first-round stoppages.
Over three rounds, Askar’s pressure convinced two of the judges he was the better fighter in the contest, despite Gomes having a solid performance of his own.
After a closely-contested fight, Askar was on the right side of a split decision, earning two 29-28 scores. The dissenting judge turned in a score of 29-28 in favor of Gomes.
After the win, Askar made it known he wants to claim the LFA bantamweight title before moving on to the UFC.
The official results of LFA 118 include:
- Askar Askar def. Leandro Gomes via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Javier Garcia def. Ryan Fillingame via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-27, 30-27)
- Jena Bishop def. Dione Barbosa via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ricky Furar def. Christian Avalos via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:30
- Sidney Trillo def. Alandria Brown via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 2:49
- Taylor Mauldin def. Nadine Mandiau via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Joe Dorado def. Corvan Allen via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 3:17