Once again, Sam Hughes has stepped up to the plate.
With Jessica Penne out, Hughes has been inserted into the UFC Fight Night 198 lineup opposite Luana Pinheiro. The reason for Penne’s withdrawal is unknown at this time.
Two people with knowledge of the change informed MMA Junkie on Wednesday but asked to remain anonymous as the promotion has to make an official announcement.
Hughes (5-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC) has taken all three of her UFC bouts to date on short-notice. After she lost her promotional debut via TKO due to an eye injury, Hughes was defeated by Loma Lookboonmee via unanimous decision in May.
Pinheiro (9-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) signed with the UFC in November 2020 when she defeated Stephanie Frausto by first-round knockout. She made her UFC debut in May and won the fight when opponent Randa Markos was disqualified due to an illegal upkick.
UFC Fight Night 198 takes place Saturday, Nov. 20 at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. The main card streams on ESPN+.
With the change, the UFC Fight Night 198 lineup includes:
- Miesha Tate vs. Ketlen Vieira
- Sean Brady vs. Michael Chiesa
- Davey Grant vs. Adrian Yanez
- Joanne Calderwood vs. Taila Santos
- Qileng Aori vs. Cody Durden
- Cheyanne Buys vs. Loma Lookboonme
- Terrance McKinney vs. Fares Ziam
- Rafa Garcia vs. Natan Levy
- Denys Bondar vs. TBA
- Sam Hughes vs. Luana Pinheiro
- Shaylin Nuerdanbieke vs. Sean Soriano
- Tucker Lutz vs. Pat Sabatini