Check out this week’s “Spinning Back Clique,” MMA Junkie’s weekly show that takes a spin through the biggest topics in mixed martial arts.
Our “Spinning Back Clique” panel of Mike Bohn, Nolan King and Danny Segura discuss five topics with host “Gorgeous” George Garcia.
- UFC on ESPN 35 brought MMA judging criteria into question once again. In the main event, Rob Font outstruck Marlon Vera 233-134, but lost the fight because Vera had three knockdowns and inflicted much more damage. In the co-feature, Andrei Arlovski beat Jake Collier in a fight in which most who scored it had it the other way. So how are we feeling about MMA judging these days?
- Is the UFC’s heavyweight division as good as it’s ever been? With a new contender like the unbeaten Alexandr Romanov in the mix now, and the eventual addition of Jon Jones, could heavyweight eventually become the UFC’s marquee weight class?
- MMA Junkie for years has named the best fight, knockout and submission of each month. We take you behind the curtain this time and into how our staff members evaluated the best submissions for April.
- Three major promotion champions are in action this week. Ryan Bader puts his heavyweight title on the line in a rematch with Cheick Kongo at Bellator 280 in Paris. And at UFC 274 in Phoenix, lightweight champ Charles Oliveira meets Justin Gaethje, and women’s strawweight champ Rose Namajunas has a rematch with former champ Carla Esparza. Which champion – they’re all modest favorites – is the most at risk to lose a belt?
- At UFC 274, Tony Ferguson takes on Michael Chandler. Mauricio Rua meets Ovince Saint Preux. And Donald Cerrone fights Joe Lauzon. All three fights are on the main card, and all three feature fighters who could be nearing the ends of their careers. Is there a chance we’ll see Ferguson, Rua, Cerrone or Lauzon lay down their gloves and retire Saturday?
“Spinning Back Clique” is released each Tuesday on MMA Junkie’s YouTube channel. You can watch the full episode in the video above.