MANNY PACQUIAO CHALLENGES WBA WELTERWEIGHT TITLEHOLDER YORDENIS UGAS ON SATURDAY NIGHT AT T-MOBILE ARENA ON PAY-PER-VIEW
YORDENIS UGAS (26-4, 12 KOs)
VS. MANNY PACQUIAO (62-7-2, 39 KOs)
- When: Saturday, Aug. 21
- Where: T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas
- TV/Stream: Pay-per-view
- Division: Welterweight
- At stake: Ugas’ WBA title
- Pound-for-pound rating: Pacquiao No. 15 (Boxing Junkie)
- Odds: Pacquiao 3-1 favourite (common of a number of retailers)
- Also on the cardboard: Robert Guerrero vs. Victor Ortiz, welterweights; Mark Magsayo vs. Julio Ceja, featherweights; Carlos Castro vs. Oscar Escandon, featherweights
- Prediction: Pacquiao UD
- Background: Pacquiao returns greater than two years after he outpointed Keith Thurman at 40 to win the WBA 147-pound title, which later was given to Ugas due to the Filipino icon’s inactivity. The now-42-year-old was scheduled to face an infinite problem in two-belt titleholder Errol Spence Jr. however Spence pulled out with a watch damage. The Texan’s misfortunate is Ugas’ final alternative, because the Cuban will probably be participating within the largest and most-lucrative struggle of his profession. And Ugas is a official menace to defeat Pacquiao. He is skillful, skilled and rugged. He has a lot of high quality victories and was aggressive in all 4 of his losses, together with a break up determination towards Shawn Porter in 2019 that some consider ought to’ve gone his manner. He’s coming off a split-decision victory over Abel Ramos final September. Pacquiao doesn’t throw as many punches as he as soon as did; he fights in spurts now. However, he proved in his upset of then-unbeaten Thurman that he stays fast and succesful into his 40s. We’ll see what, if any influence the two-year hiatus may have on Pacquiao. He says the time was helpful as a result of it allowed his physique to relaxation. Of course, it is a much-watch struggle as a result of we by no means know which struggle would be the all-time nice’s final.
Also preventing this weekend: Cruiserweight prospect Ali Baloyev (10-0, 7 KOs) faces Rolly Lambert Fogoum (11-1-1, 10 KOs) on Friday in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (ESPN+); Kali Reis (17-7-1, 5 KOs) defends her WBA junior welterweight title towards Diana Prazak (14-3, 9 KOs) on Friday in El Cajon, Calif. (UFC Fight Pass); and Jair Valtierra (15-0, 8 KOs) faces Alberto Ruiz Ibarra (10-2, 7 KOs) in a light-weight bout on Friday in Mexico City (Telemundo).