Check out this week’s “Spinning Back Clique,” MMA Junkie’s weekly present that takes a spin by the largest matters in blended martial arts.
This week, our panel discusses the aftermath of 2021 PFL Playoffs 2 and UFC on ESPN 29, together with what comes subsequent for the night time’s massive winners. We additionally take a look at some stunning feedback from a future UFC Hall of Famer and sit up for this weekend’s lineup, which sees the UFC and PFL each in motion, in addition to the return of a former UFC champion in his skilled boxing debut.
Our “Spinning Back Clique” panel this week of Matthew Wells, Nolan King and “Gorgeous” George Garcia discusses these matters and extra with host John Morgan.
- We simply wrapped a busy week in MMA, and one of the vital high-profile performances noticed Kayla Harrison stay undefeated with one other dominant victory, this time over Genah Fabian. When Bellator featherweight champ Cris Cyborg teased a future combat, Harrison mentioned fairly bluntly, “You can’t beat me.” It’s clear Harrison is without doubt one of the finest pound-for-pound feminine fighters within the sport, however given the competitors she’s confronted to this point, is it honest to assume she might dangle with probably the most dominant names within the sport like Cyborg, or her personal teammate, Amanda Nunes?
- At UFC on ESPN 29, Jared Cannonier picked up an enormous win over the sturdy Kelvin Gastelum. Afterward, Cannonier mentioned he believes he’s deserving of a title shot subsequent however would additionally take into account competing in a No. 1 contender combat if he was promised a title shot with a win. What is the correct transfer right here for Cannonier, who’s an absolute specimen of an athlete, however can be 37 years outdated?
- Outside of the primary occasion, UFC on ESPN 29 additionally featured a key flyweight matchup, with Alexandre Pantoja scoring a submission win over Brandon Royval after which instantly making a case for a flyweight title shot with Brandon Moreno, who was within the constructing on the UFC Apex. Pantoja has a few wins over Moreno, however there are some instances to be made towards him. Deiveson Figueiredo and Askar Askarov each imagine they need to be forward within the pecking order, and Cody Garbrandt is on the market as a possible rankings draw. So what is sensible for “The Assassin Baby”? Is Pantoja due?
- Perhaps one of the vital stunning moments of this previous week was Khabib Nurmagomedov popping out with criticism of fellow former UFC champion Jose Aldo, laying aside any sort of dialogue that the 34-year-old Brazilian was having fun with a second peak of his profession. Conor McGregor positive took exception to the analysis, however what say you: Fair or foul?
- It’s one other busy weekend within the sport, and it’s a very good one at featherweight. On Friday, PFL hosts Brendan Loughnane vs. Movlid Khaybulaev, and people two have a mixed profession document of 38-3-1. Meanwhile, on Saturday, it’s a striker’s delight with Edson Barboza vs. Giga Chikadze. Which of these fights is probably the most intriguing matchup of the weekend and why, or is there another choice on the desk?
- The enjoyable doesn’t finish Saturday. Sunday night time, it’s the combat the world has been ready for: Jake Paul and Tyron Woodley step into the squared circle in Cleveland for the most recent in an more and more rising variety of featured boxing matches. You can say you gained’t watch it, however you recognize you wish to know the way it performs out. So Monday morning, what are we speaking about within the wake of this combat?