Jared Cannonier is again within the win column.
In the UFC on ESPN 29 predominant occasion Saturday, Cannonier (14-5 MMA, 7-5 UFC) defeated Kelvin Gastelum (17-8 MMA, 11-8 UFC) through unanimous resolution (48-47, 48-47, 48-47). The middleweight bout passed off on the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It aired on ESPN and streamed on ESPN+.
For 5 rounds, Gastelum and Cannonier battled. While Gastelum appeared to land the more practical photographs within the first two rounds, reside and unofficial statistics on the published indicated Cannonier was efficiently outnumbering him within the assault.
In Round 3, Cannonier landed a clear test hook – the primary really vital shot of the struggle. The punch dropped Gastelum to the seat of his shorts, however he scrambled again to his toes and survived a charging Cannonier.
— UFC (@ufc) August 22, 2021
The struggle entered the championship rounds with each males comparatively recent. After a methodical strategy from Gastelum within the placing division, Cannonier clipped him with an uppercut. While maybe extra off-balance than damage, Gastelum once more hit the mat – and once more, he bounced again up, seemingly unfazed.
The ultimate spherical was extra point-fighting, except for a Gastelum takedown try. Gastelum briefly scooped Cannonier’s legs out they usually hit the mat, however just for a couple of seconds. Once separated, Cannonier defended Gastelum’s subsequent try. Cannonier claimed a watch poke within the ultimate minute and though Gastelum tied him up, he was in a position to defend a 3rd takedown try.
Cannonier’s return from a near-year layoff as a result of a number of arm surgical procedures was profitable. He bounced again into the win column after an October 2020 loss to former UFC middleweight champion Robert Whittaker, the struggle he sustained his arm harm in. Cannonier strikes to 4-1 since he dropped to middleweight in 2018.
— UFC (@ufc) August 22, 2021
For Gastelum, who’s 29, the loss is his fourth in 5 outings. Despite his struggles to extend his win totals, Gastelum has confirmed sturdy and aggressive as 4 of these losses have come through resolution.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN 29 outcomes embody:
- Jared Cannonier def. Kelvin Gastelum through unanimous resolution (48-47, 48-47, 48-47)
- Mark Madsen def. Clay Guida through cut up resolution (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Parker Porter def. Chase Sherman through unanimous resolution (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Saidyokub Kakhramonov def. Trevin Jones through technical submission (guillotine choke) – Round 3, 4:39
- Vinc Pichel def. Austin Hubbard through unanimous resolution (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alexandre Pantoja def. Brandon Royval through submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:46
- Austin Lingo def. Luis Saldana through unanimous resolution (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Brian Kelleher def. Domingo Pilarte through unanimous resolution (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Josiane Nunes def. Bea Malecki through knockout (punch) – Round 1, 4:54
- William Knight def. Fabio Cherant through knockout (punches) – Round 1, 3:58
- Ignacio Bahamondes def. Roosevelt Roberts through knockout (head kick) – Round 3, 4:55
- Ramiz Brahimaj def. Sasha Palatnikov through technical submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:33