MIKEY GARCIA RETURNS AFTER A 20-MONTH LAYOFF TO FACE SANDOR MARTIN OF SPAIN ON SATURDAY. ALSO, ON FRIDAY, EMANUEL NAVARRETE WILL DEFEND HIS 126-POUND TITLE AGAINST JOET GONZALEZ.
EMANUEL NAVARRETE (34-1, 29 KOs) VS. JOET GONZALEZ (24-1, 14 KOs)
- When: Friday, Oct. 15
- Where: Pechanga Arena, San Diego
- TV/Stream: ESPN+
- Division: Featherweights
- At stake: No titles
- Pound-for-pound rating: None
- Odds: NA
- Also on the cardboard: Giovani Santillan vs. Angel Ruiz, welterweights
- Prediction: Navarrete UD
- Background: Navarrete is a two-division titleholder who can be making the second protection of his 126-pound belt, which he gained by outpointing Ruben Villa when the title was vacant. The swarming quantity puncher from Mexico City, who regularly wears his opponents down, established himself as an elite fighter by defeating Isaac Dogboe in consecutive fights in 2018 (UD) and 2019 (TKO 12). The first one was for the WBO 122-pound title. He efficiently defended that belt 5 occasions earlier than transferring as much as featherweight. The 26-year-old is coming off a 12th-round TKO of Christopher Diaz in April, a battle he was profitable by a big margin on the time of the stoppage. Navarrete’s solely loss got here in his sixth professional battle, greater than 9 years in the past. Gonzalez, a 27-year-old product of Los Angeles, may be greatest recognized for shedding a large determination to Shakur Stevenson in a battle for the vacant WBO 126-pound title, which Stevenson instantly vacated. However, Gonzalez is an effective all-around fighter. He rebounded from the loss to Stevenson by simply outpoint veteran Miguel Marriaga and has different victories over stable opponents.
MIKEY GARCIA (40-1, 30 KOs) VS. SANDOR MARTIN (38-2, 13 KOs)
- When: Saturday, Oct. 16
- Where: Chukchansi Park, Fresno
- TV/Stream: DAZN
- Division: Welterweights
- At stake: No titles
- Pound-for-pound rating: Garcia No. 11
- Odds: NA
- Also on the cardboard: Elwin Soto vs. Jonathan Gonzalez, junior flyweights (for Soto’s WBO title); Esteban Bermudez vs. Jesse Rodriguez, junior flyweights
- Prediction: Garcia KO 7
- Background: Garcia was a primary candidate to face Manny Pacquiao however the Filipino star ended up combating Yordenis Ugas. Then the previous four-division titleholder was in talks to face Regis Prograis in what would’ve been a significant battle nevertheless it didn’t occur. So now, simply to maintain busy, he’ll face a comparatively unknown Spaniard and search greater and higher challenges afterward. Garcia, 33, bounced again from his one-sided loss to Errol Spence Jr. in March 2019 to defeat veteran Jessie Vargas by a convincing determination in February of final 12 months. That was his most-recent battle, that means he can have been out of the ring for nearly 20 months. He is ranked No. 3 by the WBO and No. 4 by the WBC. Martin, a 28-year-old from Barcelona, has quite a bit working towards him. He has by no means confronted anybody close to Garcia’s skill, he’ll be combating outdoors of Europe for the primary time and he’s transferring up in weight for the battle. He has gained 9 consecutive fights since shedding a choice to Anthony Yigit in 2017 – together with a choice over Kay Prospere in April, his final battle – however the streak figures to finish in Fresno. On the undercard, Elwin Soto (19-1, 13 KOs) of Mexico will make the fourth protection of his WBO junior flyweight title towards Puerto Rican resident Jonathan Gonzalez (24-3-1, 14 KOs).
Also combating this weekend:
- Manuel Gallegos (18-1, 15 KOs) of Mexico will face countryman Gabriel Lopez (10-5-1, 7 KOs) in a scheduled 10-round tremendous middleweight battle in Los Mochis, Mexico (UFC Fight Pass).
- Santiago Dominguez (24-0, 18 KOs) of Mexico will tackle Jesus Antonio Rubio (13-4-1, 7 KOs), additionally of Mexico, in a scheduled 10-round welterweight bout in Los Mochis (UFC Fight Pass).
- IBF cruiserweight titleholder Mairis Briedis (27-1, 19 KOs) will defend his belt towards Artur Mann (17-1, 9 KOs) of Kazakhstan in Riga, Latvia, Briedis’ residence nation.
- Hughie Fury (25-3, 14 KOs) of England will face Christian Hammer (26-7, 16 KOs) of Romania in a scheduled 10-round heavyweight bout in Newcastle, England (Sky Sports within the U.Ok.). Also on that card, WBO middleweight titleholder Savannah Marshall (10-0, 8 KOs) of England will defend her belt towards Lolita Muzeya (16-0, 8 KOs) of Zambia. And Chris Eubank Jr. (30-2, 22 KOs) of England will face Wanik Awdijan (28-1, 11 KOs) of Armenia in a scheduled 10-round middleweight bout.
- New Yorker Cletus Seldin (25-1, 21 KOs) will battle William Silva (28-3, 16 KOs) of Brazil in a scheduled 10-round junior welterweight bout at Barclays Center in Brooklyn (FITE).