Daniel Rodriguez took his highest-profile struggle thus far on 17 days’ discover however confirmed no indicators of being unprepared when it got here time to struggle.
At UFC on ESPN 30 on Saturday, Rodriguez (16-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) capitalized on the chance when he defeated Kevin Lee (18-7 MMA, 11-7 UFC) through unanimous choice (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).
The welterweight bout was a part of the UFC on ESPN 30 predominant card on the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It aired on ESPN and streamed on ESPN+.
Lee’s most dominant offense got here in Round 1. After some placing on the ft, Lee acquired Rodriguez on the bottom and ended the spherical in dominant place. While Round 2 and Round 3 have been aggressive, Rodriguez slowly however absolutely pulled away. He used his crisp boxing, takedown protection, and energy to get the higher of Lee because the struggle progressed. In Round 2, Rodriguez landed a rocking punch that surprised Lee, who was in a position to survive. However, Lee continued to be outpointed in Round 3.
When the judges’ scorecards have been learn, all three gave two of three rounds to Rodriguez. After the struggle, Rodriguez referred to as for a spot within the UFC rankings and supplied his companies to promotion president Dana White ought to he want a short-notice fighter.
— UFC (@ufc) August 29, 2021
With the win, Rodriguez provides Lee to a profitable streak that already features a knockout of Preston Parsons and a unanimous choice victory over Mike Perry. The UFC on ESPN 30 bout is one Rodriguez took on quick discover when Lee’s authentic opponent Sean Brady withdrew as a result of a foot an infection in early August.
As for Lee, the loss is his fourth in 5 fights. The former interim UFC light-weight title challenger has struggled to not solely win, however keep wholesome in recent times. In 2020, he underwent a number of knee surgical procedures earlier than he suffered a rib damage in July. Lee has examined his luck at each light-weight and welterweight and has shifted backwards and forwards a number of occasions.
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN 30 outcomes embrace:
- Daniel Rodriguez def. Kevin Lee through unanimous choice (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Andre Petroski def. Micheal Gillmore through TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 3:12
- Gerald Meerschaert def. Makhmud Muradov through submission (rear-naked choke) Round 2, 1:49
- Abdul Razak Alhassan def. Alessio Di Chirico through knockout (head kick) – Round 1, 0:17
- Wellington Turman def. Sam Alvey through cut up choice (28-27, 27-28, 28-27
- Dustin Jacoby def. Darren Stewart through TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:04
- JJ Aldrich def. Vanessa Demopoulos through unanimous choice (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Pat Sabatini def. Jamall Emmers through submission (heel hook) – Round 1, 1:53
- Mana Martinez def. Guido Cannetti through cut up choice (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)