Cory Sandhagen has entered the bantamweight title image.
Following the elimination of bantamweight champion Aljamain Sterling on account of damage, Sandhagen (14-3 MMA, 7-2 UFC) is focused for UFC 267 co-main occasion reverse former titleholder Petr Yan – and an interim belt might be on the road. Contracts haven’t been signed however each side have agreed.
UFC 267 takes place Saturday, Oct. 30 at Etihad Arena in Abu Dhabi. The important card is anticipated to air on ABC after prelims on the ESPN community.
An individual with information of the focused matchup confirmed the reserving to MMA Junkie on Tuesday however requested to stay nameless because the promotion has but to make an official announcement. MMA Junkie reported Saturday that Sandhagen was the frontrunner alternative. Tuesday, ESPN was first to report the battle reserving.
Sandhagen (14-3 MMA, 7-2 UFC) enters his first UFC title shot off a cut up determination loss to T.J. Dillashaw in July, which snapped a two-fight profitable streak that included fast knockout wins over Marlon Moraes and Frankie Edgar. Besides the defeat to Dillashaw, Sandhagen’s solely different promotional loss got here in opposition to Sterling by way of first-round submission.
Sterling (20-3 MMA, 12-3 UFC) received the 135-pound strap at UFC 259 in March when Yan (15-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) was disqualified for an unlawful knee to a grounded opponent. Although the promotion was keen to show the battle round for a rematch as shortly as attainable, Sterling was immune to preventing Oct. 30 in Abu Dhabi due to neck surgical procedure, however he finally gave in.
The disqualification was Yan’s first loss since a controversial March 2016 cut up determination defeat to Magomed Magomedov at ACB 32. So far in his promotional tenure, Yan owns wins over the likes of John Dodson, Jimmie Rivera, Urijah Faber, and Jose Aldo, whom he defeated for the vacant title in 2020, amongst others.
With the addition, the UFC 267 lineup consists of:
- Jan Blachowicz vs. Glover Teixeira – for gentle heavyweight title
- Petr Yan vs. Cory Sandhagen – for interim bantamweight title
- Magomed Ankalaev vs. Volkan Oezdemir
- Islam Makhachev vs. TBA
- Marcin Tybura vs. Alexander Volkov
- Khamzat Chimaev vs. Li Jingliang
- Shamil Gamzatov vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk
- Virna Jandiroba vs. Amanda Ribas
- Ricardo Ramos vs. Zubaira Tukhugov
- Damir Ismagulov vs. Magomed Mustafaev
- Makwan Amirkhani vs. Lerone Murphy
- Alen Amedovski vs. Hu Yaozong
- Allan Nascimento vs. Tagir Ulanbekov
- Albert Duraev vs. Roman Kopylov